Despair Works

For what is life BUT despair?

New Month, New Series

Hey all. I know it’s been a while, and we’ve been pretty busy lately, since it’s June… bad shit happens in June. Especially for poor students like us.

We are aware that KdO 13 is out; I’m currently working on it. More than that, though, we’ve decided to pick up a new series:

Download

As you can probably tell, this series is completely different from everything else we’ve put out. This is mostly a (really bad) attempt to establish ourselves as a legitimate scanlation group that does more than borderline illegal serialized manga!

In all seriousness though, Bungaku Shoujo (aka Literature Girl) is one of my favourite series, ever. I absolutely love it, and the series holds a pretty special place in my heart. It’s rare to come across a work that’s as thoughtful and as entertaining, so I was really thrilled when I heard it was going to be adapted into a manga. (It was originally a light novel.)

The atmosphere is a lot darker than the other series that we do, and may bore those who are looking for a quick laugh. Just a little word of caution.

Since this series features many rather difficult edits, updates will be a lot less frequent. We apologize to any readers who may wish to follow this series in the future.

And now, a (very major) translation note:

Sandaibanashi: a form of short story revolving around three (usually completely unrelated) nouns. For example, the three nouns could be “washing machine” “Honda Integra Type-R” and “The Bombing of Hiroshima” and the writer must find a way to link all three of these concepts together. These are the stories that Konoha writes for Tooko every day.

Those of you waiting for KdO: It’ll be out soon, I promise. I know we’ve gotten slower over the months, and I feel pretty guilty for that, but I’m really trying my best here, as are all my editors. Thanks for sticking with us, and we hope you’ll enjoy this new series!

Cheers,
Akira

Comments

1. 8 June 2009, 16:18

fdn Says:

Nice!
    Thanks for sharing the fruits of your work!
    Now, what’s with the ‘DS’ tag in the filename, shouldn’t it be ‘DW’?

2. 8 June 2009, 18:25

Padathir Says:

This series looks extremely promising! Thank you (and more pls, as time allows) :)

3. 8 June 2009, 23:24

Amy Says:

Thank you so much for this release! I’m looking forward to the future chapters. :)

4. 9 June 2009, 00:17

Natarii Says:

Very interesting! I look forward to the future chapters too. Good work.

5. 9 June 2009, 02:16

KKK Says:

6. 9 June 2009, 06:37

Zathael Says:

What an odd story. I still liked it, but it is very odd. Also, there is one thing that I am unsure of. On page 01_10, was that the girl he liked jumping from the roof? That part just seemed to come out of nowhere. Is it explained more in the novel what happened, why she jumped, etc? Or is it just used as a quick “here is a bad thing that causes the main character to snap” without any real explanation?

7. 9 June 2009, 08:36

Akira Says:

Zathael: That panel is probably the most important plot point of the entire series. It’ll definitely be explained later.

8. 9 June 2009, 13:00

Anonymous Says:

Not meaning any offense, I just thought I’d mention that the first three chapters have already been translated by other groups: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/bungaku_shoujo_to_shi_ni_tagari_no_douke/

9. 9 June 2009, 13:21

Zathael Says:

Akira: Ok, I was just worried it was something that either a) never gets explained in the novel either or b) something where you would have to read the novel first to know what happened.

10. 10 June 2009, 05:21

Fusion Says:

Wow, totally unexpected chapter and story. But the best part is… I loved it.

The roof scene makes me think of Onegai Teacher, hope we’ll learn more about that…

11. 20 June 2009, 17:48

Meleesan Says:

Any chance we can see another YMT chapter anytime soon? Also, who is the translator in this group?

12. 3 July 2009, 10:31

alyu Says:

do you know if anyone translating the light novel?
    I would rather see that done than a manga…

thx though.

13. 4 June 2010, 19:30

H0shi Says:

wow…hope you continue translating this!
    I’m not sure if other groups dropped this manga. All i know is that this manga was never updated until now…

14. 5 January 2011, 19:53

Kira Kira Says:

Hi Despair Work.
    I’m a member of a Vietnamese manga translation group named Petite.
    Here’s our site: http://petitetransgroup.wordpress.com/
    Can you give us the permission to translate your Bungaku Shoujo project? Of course we’d credit you.
    Please reply to me soon.
    P/S: Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to read this great manga :)